So yesterday was a pretty full day – starting with book club and ending with light installations. But that’s a whole other ball of wax, as I like to say.
What I really want to talk about is these muffins I had been hankering for: Quinoa Muffins (recipe from 3191, by way of Bird and Little Bird). I’d bought the ingredients for it weeks ago and yesterday, I just said enough is enough let’s do this. So here it is, along with my changes:
1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 cup spelt flour (*I used regular white flour)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup Kefir (*I did buy this, but you could probably substitute with buttermilk)
1/4 cup maple syrup (*I’m not a maple syrup fan, so I used honey instead)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil or melted butter (*used butter here)
1 cup rolled oats (*I used instant, the kind with flax and dried berries in them…mmmmmmmm….)
- Pre-heat oven to 375º. Line or coat muffin tins.
- Cook quinoa: add the 1/2 cup of rinsed quinoa to 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until fluffy and all water is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine flour, salt and baking soda in one bowl; combine Kefir, egg, maple syrup, vanilla, melted butter (or oil) and oats in another bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together, including cooked quinoa, and spoon equally into muffin tins.
- I added a step here – I put just a little sprinkle of raw sugar on top of the muffins, and a really itty-bitty sprinkle of sea salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.