Strolling (or is that trolling?) around on the interwebs (as my friend Natalie likes to say), I came upon the easiest cookie recipe ever on the Bake it Pretty blogsite. Not only did it involve simple ingredients that you’re likely to have on hand, but it took 10 minutes from start to finish (minus the baking time of course). So here it is just for you:
(You can click on the link to see the pretty pictures and check out the recipe, or you save yourself a couple of minutes and just follow the recipe below.)
(Yields: 42 cookies)
- 1 – 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- One empty soda/water/beer bottle (glass is best)
- A splash of water in a separate bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar and salt.
- Add softened butter and vanilla, and mix thoroughly until a thick but light dough is formed. It should be soft but not too sticky, and easy to handle.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls and place them about 1″ apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- Place about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder into a small bowl, and about 1/4 cup water in to a separate small bowl.
- Dip the top of the bottle into water and shake off any excess.
- Dip the bottle into the cocoa powder and tap the side to shake if any excess.
- Gently press the bottle straight into one of your dough balls, pressing just barely into the dough, only about 1/4″ inch, then pull the bottle away.
- Continue with the rest of your cookies, dipping your bottle into the cocoa between each pressing. If it gets too light, do another water-dip then keep going.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Take them out when they are just done, and barely the tiniest bit brown on the bottom.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Note – The recipe is supposed to yield 42 cookies, but I only got 30 out of my batch. Minus the one Brandon broke and nearly choked on when he decided to eat a cookie fresh out of the oven.